About the District
|About the District|
- Sekhukhune district Municipality (SDM) was established in December 2000 and is situated within the south east of Limpopo province, about 300kms north of Johannesburg.
- It is bordered by Gauteng province to the south, Mpumalanga province to the east as well as Waterberg towards the West. Sekhukhune is relatively accessible with the use of its relatively extensive road network system.
- It is characterised by scattered pattern of human settlement and contains a large number of rural villages (roughly 740) with both limited economic infrastructure opportunities and services of a reasonable standard.
- Overall, it covers approximately 13 264 KM2 with only 5% of the district’s population estimated to live in urban areas.
- Sekhukhune District municipality contains five local municipalities (LM) namely; Greater Tubatse, Elias Motsoaledi, Fetakgomo, Makhuduthamaga and Ephraim Mogale. There are 121 wards in the district namely: Makhuduthamaga (31); Greater Tubatse (31); Elias Motsoaledi (30); Ephraim Mogale (16) and Fetakgomo (13).